The Charlotte Hounds defeated the new York Lizards in a 14-12 come-from-behind effort at Shuart Stadium in Hempstead, N.Y., on Friday night. Eric Lusby notched the gamewinner on his way to lead the team with a three-goal, two-assist effort while New York’s 2013 Tewaaraton Award winner Rob Pannell marked his MLL debut with a four point performance sharing leading scorer honors for the Lizards with Steven Peyser. With the result, both teams move to 2-3 on the season after week 5
It was a fairly evenly matched affair from the get-go with the hounds drawing first blood on a Ryan Young goal only to lose the lead almost immediately as the Lizards mounted a 3-0 run that included Pannell’s first professional goal. The remainder of the first quarter so both teams go back and forth with the Lizards ending up on top at 5-4.
Pannell scored two more in the second quarter and contributed an assist on Peyser’s 16
career two-pointer (a franchise record) giving the home team a 9-7 lead with just over two minutes left in the half. Midfielder David Earl added a tally to send the teams to the locker rooms with the Lizards up 10-7 at the half.
The Lizards continued to maintain the advantage with faceoff specialist Greg Gurenlian, who went 19 for 29 from the X, and 2012 Cascade Rookie of the Year Matt Gibson responding to goals by Lusby and Young leaving New York up 12-9 going into the final stanza.
The fourth quarter saw the Hounds mount a rally and keep the Lizards scoreless with rookie Mike Sawyer recording two goals assisted by Matt White, who marked his MLL debut with the two assists. Lusby’s game-winner was sandwiched between a pair of Matt Danowski tallies fixing the final result at 14-12 for the visitors.
- With the result, both teams sit in the middle of the standings with a 2-13 record.
- New York Lizard rookie Rob Pannell marked his debut with a four point performance on three goals and one assist.
- Matt Danowski’s effort earned him Player of the Game honors
- Steven Peyser’s two-pointer was the 16th of his career breaking a franchise record.
- Hounds rookie Mike Sawyer added two goals bringing his total to five on the season.
- Charlotte rookies Mason Poli and Matt White made their professional debut contributing one and two helpers respectively.
- Michael McCormack also made his debut for the Hounds picking up three ground balls.
- The Lizards next take the game into New York City as the host the Chesapeake Bayhawks on Thursday, June 6, at Carl Icahn Stadium on Randall’s Island at 7 p.m.
- The Hounds play host to the Ohio Machine on Saturday, June 8, at 7 p.m. at American Legion Memorial Stadium.